1.12.2009

Lantern Festival

If there are small ways that I could describe who I am, heres a video of something that mesmerizes me, and totally excites me. The color and sounds and the sheer scope of these paper lanterns heading off into the sky is just like a dream. Khom Fai are believed to help rid the locals of troubles and are also taken to decorate houses and streets.


This is a clip of the Yi Peng Lantern festival in Thailand. Its so magical and beautiful I think I've watched this movie 12 times already. Oh someday I will have to go (its held in Nov). Here's an in depth description about the origins of Loy Krathong (the festival) in case you would like to go someday too.

While researching these glowing delights, I found that today (or yesterday) is the end of the Chinese New Year, which is celebrated with a different kind of "Lantern Festival". Chinese New Year this year is Jan 26th.

"According to the Chinese tradition, at the very beginning of a new year, when there is a bright full moon hanging in the sky, there should be thousands of colorful lanterns hung out for people to appreciate. At this time, people will try to solve the puzzles on the lanterns and eat yuanxiao (glutinous rice ball) and get all their families united in the joyful atmosphere." source Read more about the Chinese origins and traditions on wikipedia.

2 comments:

kiddlebug said...

It reminds me of jelly fish in the ocean. I've never seen anything like it before.

lilybirddesigns said...

Wow! That is amazing! If only you saw this before your wedding Crystal. You could have had skylanterns and we could have sent them up in the field next to the Red Barn! Check out this website: http://www.skylanterns.com/

I think I am going to buy them for the kids. They would absolutely love them!